AFAJ Cup Quarter Final Sandhurst Sports 1-5 Mytchett Athletic (19th Nov 2016) « Mytchett Athletic Football Club

AFAJ Cup Quarter Final Sandhurst Sports 1-5 Mytchett Athletic (19th Nov 2016)

Nov 19, 2016   //   by Clive Spooner   //   Match Reports  //  No Comments
19/11/2016 at Sandhurst Recreation Ground
Sandhurst Sports 1-5 Mytchett Athletic Adults
Ryan Bell (3) Dan Cranstone (2)
Team: Tobi Daniels, Luke Usher, Dan Spooner, Will Yalden, Ryan Lunn, Ryan Bell, Billy Leader, Tom Dutoit, Will Brown, Dan Cranstone, Liam Henchy subs Nick Bell, Ben Court, Scott Calvert and Mark Smith.
Man of the Match – Ryan Bell
Player of the Day – Tom Dutoit

It was excellent that manager Nick Bell could take a strong squad into this Aldershot Football Association Quarter Final fixture with players returning from injury and travels.

As soon as the game kicked off the pace of the Mytchett attack was causing the opposition problems and after just 5 minutes Ryan Bell unleashed a 23 yard shot that the opposition keeper managed to get a hand to but was unable to keep out (1-0).

Barely minutes later an excellent through 40 yard through ball from the impressive Tom Dutoit saw Mytchett go close to extending the lead.

The back three for Mytchett (Ryan Lunn, Will Brown and Dan Spooner) were solid with Will Yalden holding just in front but after 14 minutes the opposition played a ball through that was intercepted by Tobi Daniels (keeper) who to the amazement of the watching crowd went on a run with the ball from his own penalty area and beating several opposition challenges he entered the opposition half before a mixture of exhaustion and vertigo (from being so far forward) resulted in a hoof into touch and a scurry back to goal.

On 21 minutes the Mytchett pressure was rewarded with Dan Cranstone putting Mytchett 2-0 up after some excellent play by Billy Leader and Liam Henchy.

The game was put beyond the opposition in a two minute spell when after 38 minutes Ryan Bell ran through the opposition and set Dan Cranstone up for his second and two minutes later Luke Usher set Ryan Bell up for his second and the score at 4-0.

Nick Bells team talk at half time was to remain focussed and not let this lead slip and rather unusually included abuse towards Olivier Giroud who had just scored an 89th minute equalizer for Arsenal against his beloved United.

Scott Calvert was introduced at half time and shortly after Ben Court and Mark Smith.

A resurgent opposition started to put pressure on Mytchett and despite superb defending in the box by Tom Dutoit the resulting corner was headed home and the score 4-1.

The goal of the game came after 75 minutes when Ryan Bell played a diagonal 50 yard ball to Scott Calvert who attacked the opposition penalty area and the ball was cut back to Ryan Bell who completed the move he had started with a crisp strike beating the opposition keeper and the score was 5-1 and a superb hat-trick for Ryan Bell.

MOTM was Ryan Bell  but Tom Dutoit pushed him close for the award.

This was a dominant performance by Mytchett and we now await the draw for the semi final and just as importantly arrangements were made for the Christmas social after the game.

Leave a comment